Wednesday, April 24, 2013

DIY to Personalize a Party

My daughter Skylr is having a princess party for her fifth birthday this May. This year we have decided to do  a lot more DIY projects then years past, to save money, have more at the party and to have more fun! We chose a dragon for the pinata because there will be boys at the party too and each kid will have a chance to 'slay the dragon'. I will be making a sword out of cardboard that I will share later.
 This pinata is made from cereal boxes that have been cut to shape and then taped (multiple times) together.
 The pinata is decorated with tissue paper that has been layered onto the card board then slit. The dragon is breathing 'fire' (which is just spiral ribbon). The cost of this pinata was about $1. I had the cereal boxes (we eat cereal for breakfast daily), as well as the tape. I did have to buy the tissue paper and ribbon, which was 97 cents per color, but I only used one sheet of purple tissue paper and three sheets of green, then only used an eighth of the ribbon. So although the grand total to purchase everything was $5 I have so much left over for other projects.
 These bags are for the pinata treats. My daughter won a note pad booklet at a bean bag toss, and we glued a paper to the front of the bag to label each kids treat bag.
Each kid will also receive a hand make crown made of felt. I made a fold in my felt the thickness I wanted the crown and then cut the crown spikes according to the pattern I had made. Each crown was sewn around the top and sides to connect the felt together. When there is two layers of felt, the felt is stiffer and hold better. At the back of each crown there is a small (one to three inch) piece of elastic to make for a better fit. 

There are still more DIY projects to conquer for Skylr's party, but I will share as they are accomplished and I will take more pictures of how they finished produced was achieved. 

No comments:

background